View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #70 (permalink)
Mustang Dave
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Ignore what the car tells you, with its Zone Of Stupidity.

Don't even watch the gauges too closely- you're not trying to hit a moving needle, you're trying to get to work. Take each acceleration event as a whole: I gave it this much gas, got to that speed, and it did this to my trip mpg. Instant mpg will be horrible while accelerating hard, but that's okay. What matters is what you do with it overall.
Well stated. Acceleration is bad for fuel economy. Try not to waste too much time accelerating.
When driving home from work, I enter I-40 eastbound on an up-hill on-ramp. I don't drive with an egg on the accelerator; I drive with a deck of cards under it. I push the accelerator to achieve 100% load on my Ultra Gauge without going into open-loop enrichment. I shift at 2500 RPM. Instantaneous MPG is about 6.9 MPG in 3rd gear; 9.9 MPG in 4th gear; and 13 MPG in 5th gear while accelerating to 65 MPH. I set cruise control @ 65 MPH while still on the on-ramp. Driving in town and in rural neighborhoods, I generally shift at 1500-2000 RPM - still accelerating @ 80-100% load. I know I'm doing a few things wrong, but 32+ MPG (6 month average) isn't THAT bad for a 4.0 liter Ford Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.

Last edited by Mustang Dave; 11-15-2015 at 01:38 AM..