View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #370 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

UPDATE 20 A long time waiting

My apologies to anyone waiting for updates, progress has been slow over the past few months and I’ve had little significant information to impart. The re-working of many parts to make them suitable for the MSVA test has been more time consuming than I had expected, and I’ve had a busy summer with customer projects.

This latest image shows the redesigned front end taking shape, alongside the original version.

I chose to use the Honda CBR600 headlamp assembly, left over from the donor bike, because it has all the correct markings to pass the MSVA inspection, and an integral beam adjustment facility, which is a specific item on the test list. The earlier twin headlamp that I made, has a better “look” but could be failed by a strict tester.

It requires fresh bodywork, but in comparision to the mechanical engineering, its quite straightforward. I’ve made a new front support structure from tubular steel, which it a bit “heavy-duty” but it looks the part. As part of my work for customers, I recently had to make a tube bender, and it’s a great addition to my workshop equipment. On my next prototype I will have a fully tubular frame. The bender is great to work with and makes the finished product look great.

I’ve done a job list for the MSVA test and it stands at about 14 items (depending upon how specific you are with the definitions), which at a rate of one-job-per-week will still take ages! Some jobs are simple and others are complex, in fact one has me baffled and I will post details in the hope that forum members can point me in the right direction – more on that later.

Presently I am grappling with the front telescopic forks. On the new front end I have committed to keeping the forks under the “bonnet” (or should that be “hood”). The earlier version had a cutout through which the std CBR forks protruded. This would fail the test and require a bulbous cover, which is a look I could not live with, so I’m going with a shortened upper tube. However, getting enough suspension travel still requires a heavily modified lower fork clamp, and that’s before I shorten the fork internals.

Anyway, that’s how things stand at present. My guilt is purged! I will post about my fuel tank dilemma next week.

Last edited by visionary; 11-16-2015 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: correct typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visionary For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (11-16-2015), Joggernot (11-16-2015)