View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #94 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Another late update. The goodies I was waiting on last time were a Cycle Satiator charger so I could charge faster than 2A (without using sketchy, cheap power supplies that would threaten to burn my house down) and a bag that slides onto the rear rack to hold the battery. I also swapped the ebike kit from my wife's bike to mine because after not riding for a while, I realized how terribly her bigger bike fit me.

You can imagine my disappointment when I ride the bike and it scares the crap out of me with how unstable it is. The rear hub motor plus the battery on the rear rack make it very easy to get it wobbling at speed. I think it's worse than my original setup with the same configuration because this rack and/or bag don't hold the battery as securely. Now I'm just going to go back to the battery in a backpack. I'm getting a smaller assault pack style backpack that has a main pocket just bigger than the battery. My other backpack is much larger and I had to have the battery inside of a larger box to keep it from just laying in the very bottom of the bag. Smaller bag should be much easier to tighten up to keep everything moving with me, be easier to store at home and work, and have more usable storage.

Hopefully I'll be back to riding next week, just in time to have to put the bar mitts back on. Current dream is a full suspension frame built for an ebike like this. Massive battery storage inside the frame will swallow even my big battery. Only issue is the $500 for the frame balloons to $1500 easy to deck it out, and that's even using my existing battery and motor kit. We'll see what my commute ends up like after I move next year.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread