View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I suppose one could start a water fountain thread and see how that goes.
I prefer to derail existing threads rather than start my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Why would Fuller say that? Because even back then he could see the environmental stress caused by humanity?

Why does nobody- well, james and I and a few others have mentioned it- address the quality of life issues of overpopulation? Maybe you guys LIKE long lines and congestion and chaos and no escape, but some of us don't.
Are there long lines Up North? Have you tried living in previous eras to compare quality of life then, compared to now?

While it's impossible for me to know exactly what it was like to live with less people around, I'm fairly certain I enjoy antibiotics, plentiful food, electronics, leisure, and a relative lack of threat of enemy invasion.

I'd say that my quality of life is among the highest experienced by humanity. Perhaps there is a positive correlation between population and quality of life?

At any rate, Fuller is just pointing out the obvious that the rules of nature have winning strategies, and loosing ones. VHEM is a loosing one.

The real fear is Involuntary Human Extinction, which at the top of the threat list would include war/terrorism with biological/chemical/nuclear weapons. Have you seen Dr. Strangelove? It's terrifying that a species with so little understanding and control of their own emotions wields such great power.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!