View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Except in the case of my friends/neighbors the vehicle not only failed to dissipate the energy, it also failed to prevent transferring it to the occupants.
No, it didn't fail at anything. There was more crash energy than the car could dissipate by deforming because the other person was driving a big, heavy truck with lots of inertia and hit them head on. There's a difference.

Also, why was the collision head-on? What other factors could have prevented or mitigated the damage of this collision? Why is the go-to response always, "When I get in an accident JUST LIKE THIS again, I need to be driving a bigger car because SAFETY"? And not, "Gee, maybe I should drive slower" or "Why don't I take an autocross course and practice handling my car in emergency-like situations" or "Maybe I should practice checking my mirrors more often" or "How about I take a defensive driving course", which would help prevent collisions no matter what vehicle a person is driving? We act like the mass of the car is the only factor in these collisions, when the reality is there are myriad little details that affect the severity of a crash as well as whether or not it happens in the first place. No vehicle is a magic bullet for safety in a collision.