View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
target

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
Aerohead

The base vehical is 45-55mpg my target is the Tryane 11

Fuel Consumption : 55-70 mpg
TOP SPEED (approx): l00 mph

Can your CRX match that ?

Also I want to be SEEN !!!!

CFG83 I am also concerned about safety and agree about the safety aspect of the Vortex.

' It would somewhat resemble a cross between VW's concept and the Vortex.
I think a welded tube chassis would be a lot lighter than all that plywood in the Vortex. '

But you would still need to clad it with something and the plywood is very strong for it's weight.

regards Paul
Sorry! The CRX did 41-60.6mpg in mixed driving.75.5mpg was it's all-time best.If you can pull a reliable 70mpg on the open road,it would be worth the effort.I've got "mini-hypercar" in the pipeline.It and everthing else is on hold 'til I can dry in more shop space.The mini is a "solo",with leg-straddling VW front end,married to a water-cooled,HONDA Shadow VT700,shaft-drive,via 1-1/2-inch mild-steel safety cage.I've got a Sonnerai aircraft canopy to enclose me.The forward coachwork is most like the Fuel Vapor Ale,with fully-enclosed front wheels and tapering fenders and suspension enclosure.This is for increased visibility and crumple-zone,also low C.G.storage.I considered a tandem,but it's just too long.The narrow canopy helps with the frontal area.I'm trying for Cd0.12,and keep weight such that it can be registered as a motorcycle.There are some shots of it in the phil knox aerodynamic photos album.Not much to look at,just a mule,to work out all the human factors,ingress/egress.I'm going for more than 70-mpg,however,no guarantees.All-compound curves mean perhaps 600-hours just for the body.I've been very inspired by the accomplishments of Doug Malewecki and am saddened that he will not be completing his one-tank-across-America three-wheeler.Super good luck on your project! I hope to jump back in the game,come next winter.Til then,I'll have to live vicariously through you and the other members.