View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
ToddT58
Alternative Fuels Addict

A lot of aromatic solvents will have napthalene and a touch of trimethylbenzene. I design chemicals and have to search for what we called "naphthalene depleted" so it won't contain those. Doesn't change the performance, the napthalene depleted just costs more and allows for a better looking MSDS/SDS, no listed ingredients.

I've found most injector cleaners have an medium to heavy aromatic solvent, depending on the flashpoint. Great ingredients and not too bad. But, use too much and it will attack rubber o-rings and fuel lines. Makes them swell and soften. The naphthalene is essentially mothballs. Remember when folks were putting mothballs in their gasoline. Well, there's a hint of validity to the idea that it would help on octane. For diesel, it just cleans is my guess.

The ethylhexly nitrate is what gives the cetane boost.

As for biodiesel, I've run almost a quarter million miles on heated veg oil and/or diesel. I maybe saw a 1/2 mpg drop in economy. Some see a slight improvement. Lots better lubrication, making up for the loss of lubricity when they removed so much of the sulphur.

Regarding fuel efficiency monitoring, on gas engines I've long been a believer in the vacuum gauge. Same for the boost gauge on turbo diesels. But what about a naturally aspirated diesel? I have a couple of those and have always wondered. Anything?