View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #2353 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
thingstodo, that is very cool! Do you know if it works on the evil horrible "it's going in the garbage soon" iphone? haha. That's the one I have been cursed with. I like how it shows 2 pictures, and also your voice is very easy to hear. It really didn't pick up the noise. You know, I have my very first prototype DC controller (maybe it was my 2nd). It used a heavy duty copper heat spreader. It would need a control board mounted to it. Since your controller failed, to get it to work again, you might have to replace the ten 22Ohm gate resistors (they sometimes crack when there has been a failure) and replace the MIC4451. And possibly the hcpl4504 with a new hcpl4506. Everything else should be OK. I can send you that controller for you to keep. It should work fine. I've never used it though. What's the cheapest shipping way to you? I don't mind paying for shipping. You are doing so much to help in the development, and I am so "thankful" (thanksgiving shout-out).

As for the boosting, where is the 3x current coming from? I have 2 intended uses in mind for the super cheapo AC TO-247 controller with boosting. First, I just wanted to allow higher RPM under load. I have a 200amp 300uH inductor, and my simulations seemed to show that things stay under relative control in that situation. There is a ton of capacitance (to keep things cheap, I am using a bunch of 450v electrolytic caps. heck it worked for the 500amp controller), which I hope will allow for a dual use as a solar MPPT/ 3 phase grid tie. And if you don't want to go to jail, you could instead use it as a MPPT/ 3 phase "not grid tie" sort of thing. I bet there are people who would want 3 phase power at their house, and who have maybe 12 lead acid batteries laying around. Well, maybe there aren't but I'm going to pretend that.