View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #2371 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Yeah, that inductor is certainly impressive.

Wow - 48 pounds!! That's the weight of 6 Leaf modules.

This one weighs about the same, if you have $1500 for an inductor..
http://www.coilws.com/images/HCS-161...%20REV%20A.pdf

Hmmm, I wonder if it's possible to make a torroidal inductor that weighs less in this power range. There doesn't seem to be much off the shelf stuff in this range; it's all custom pretty much. I need to review my notes on that...

I can definitely see the advantage of increasing the switching frequency. In this case, going from 10kHz to 25kHz dropped the required inductance to 110uH. That would certainly be a good argument for SiC switches.

The control's switches aren't the problem - three TO-247's can handle these numbers. And, as anyone who's looked at real switches knows, there's a huge range in current handling capability (proportional to price) in that package size. They don't all have to be spec'd on the most impacted part's requirements.

However, it sure seems like based one weight and $$$, it might be best to KISS (no boost) and just buy more batteries.

If the constraints are 50kW with 2X boost for the cheap model this could work out - I'll re-run some #'s for that.
***edit*** that doesn't help. Reducing the power helps, but increasing the boost amount offsets any gains.

- E*clipse

Last edited by e*clipse; 11-24-2015 at 03:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (11-24-2015)