Thread: Quick question
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
carolina guy
EcoModding Lurker

Stormtrooper - '14 Ford F-150 XLT, 4x4, Crew Cab 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Putting a grill block behind the grill is a lot more work. Not only do you have to get behind the grill, but it's usually not a flat surface that's easy to cover either. And air pressure on a grill block behind a grill will try to push the block away from the grill and let air in. When mounted in front, the air pressure pushes the block tighter to the grill. I wouldn't expect an aerodynamic difference between the two methods if it's well done.
For the initial test on the F150, I will just take some styro board and ziptie it to the outside of the grille for the reasons you mention...there is a LOT of surface area and it is almost vertical. For the more permanent mount, I would like it behind and motorized as I am getting ready to replace the mechanical fan with a couple electric fans. I want the option to thermostatically control an opening grille block for hotter weather, but for now, I am planning.

A neighbor works at a race shop and got me some race fans for free, and I know the mechanical fan is a real drag given that simply backing up the driveway blows most of the leaves off the driveway in a 3 foot swath.
The Following User Says Thank You to carolina guy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-28-2015)