View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
planejob
BeginnerModder

Well, it's been a long time with no update! Work has been busy. I'm home ill from the turkey day festivities so I thought I'd bring you all up to speed.

The Flywheel:
The generator flywheel that came with the engine will not work. It weighs 35 pounds, has too large of a diameter to fit inside the transmission case, is too thick to allow the transmission to mate to the adapter, and has no surface that a friction plate could push against - it's machined for a bolt on hub.
So I got to thinking, ordered a new flywheel for a D905, one that's fitted to a tractor. The diameter is perfect, the depth can be dealt with... but the friction face is HUGE, and oriented differently than expected in relation to the edge.
The touch decision was made to use the 3cyl flywheel from Suzuki and bore out the mounting counter bore to fit the Kubota. The Geo/suzuki crankshaft end measure 68.00mm on my broken gas engine. the crankshaft end of the Kubota measures a tight 72mm. I found a machine shop that would take my job and not laugh. I pick the part up Monday!
Yes, I'll have to "adjust" a few of the bolt holes but that's a small expense for preserving all of the other dimensions and being able to use stock Geo clutch parts instead of Kubota parts ($$$$$$).

The adapter plate is .470 inches thick, and that spacing puts it right were it needs to be with relation to the engine block and tranny mounting face Problem is, the bolt heads that hold on the adapter plate interfere with the flywheel once it it mounted at the proper depth. I'm going to have to countersink the bolt heads by about 1/8th of an inch. I refuse to take it to the machine shop, so I'll see what I can do with a mill bit and a drill press. any advice?

Once the COunterbore on the flywheel is done the rest is planned out:
1) Flip the engine up on the front (braced appropriately)
2) mate the tranny's input shaft into the (new) pilot bearing and allow the tranny to rest on the plate.
3) attach dial indicators on the x and Y axis of this balanced contraption.
4) measure the distance I can slide the tranny in X, same for Y.
5) Split the differences of the measurements and hope that's good enough. Clamp everything together and drill tranny mounting holes in the plate.
6) cross finger, hope, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to planejob For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (11-26-2015)