View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #52 (permalink)
iveyjh
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
[QUOTE=planejob;500642]Well, it's been a long time with no update! Work has been busy. I'm home ill from the turkey day festivities so I thought I'd bring you all up to speed.

The Flywheel:
The generator flywheel that came with the engine will not work. It weighs 35 pounds, has too large of a diameter to fit inside the transmission case, is too thick to allow the transmission to mate to the adapter, and has no surface that a friction plate could push against - it's machined for a bolt on hub.
So I got to thinking, ordered a new flywheel for a D905, one that's fitted to a tractor. The diameter is perfect, the depth can be dealt with... but the friction face is HUGE, and oriented differently than expected in relation to the edge.
The touch decision was made to use the 3cyl flywheel from Suzuki and bore out the mounting counter bore to fit the Kubota. The Geo/suzuki crankshaft end measure 68.00mm on my broken gas engine. the crankshaft end of the Kubota measures a tight 72mm. I found a machine shop that would take my job and not laugh. I pick the part up Monday!

I think it would be better to go with the stronger and lighter geo metro 1.3 flywheel and heavy duty clutch but I see you are already getting the machine shop work done. Never mind.