View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #2411 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Maybe I should add a line or 2 in the code so that, when the car stops going forward, the regen is disabled, so the car won't fly into reverse at a stop light?
That brings up something - perhaps you can help w/ my confusion..

- What's the line between "regen braking" and reverse torque - IE power taken from the battery pack to provide the reverse torque?

Somewhere in the stopping mode, the reverse torque provided by the drive motor based on BEMF will go to zero, I would assume. Does the controller attempt to apply consistant reverse torque based on some user input? In that case there would be a lot more energy flowing to the battery at high speed. If the torque is supposed to remain constant, there would be some point the battery would have to supply energy. At that point, it would not help from an energy perspective, but might help from a consistant performance perspective.

Brake "feel" is all important - how much deceleration the car is doing coupled with brake pedal pressure should be pretty consistant. It seems controlling a stop would be difficult if that is all over the place. This is one of the toughest things to figure out - how to blend friction brakes with regen brakes for consistant feel and best energy return.

- E*clipse

The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (11-30-2015)