View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #328 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I think the smaller motors in the Prius transmissions would make excellent bike motors.
with mg1, etc, it is a bit wide. Even the mgr is a bit wide, and I would need a radial load bearing on the output, or a very solid through axle, or something.

Though I am very interested in what a realistic cnc job (pre-designed) case would cost, for say side by side mg2 stators/rotors. Or something to hold an mg2 up to the rest of my gs gearbox, somehow, even though I might never take it out of first (or just use some of the gears therein as you suggest).

Also, is there a story on cooling the mgr? That might be a major difference between this and 123kw. freebeard said something about korea?!?

re two speed, the input shaft as output occurred to me too, you can use a little bit of power to hold mg1 steady and mg2 will be reduced by .72, which is probably a useful step in an EV, or drive mg1 and mg2 together for full speed. It probably isn't worth it, I'd just weld the planetary with mg1 and 2 in phase and power them as a parallel unit if possible, and take advantage of the downstream gear reductions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
The standard stuff I removed from my car was really heavy (more than 2 MGR's) and the cost of a similar gearbox
I hear ya, I'm looking at a gl1800 box right now and wondering what I was thinking. It's junkyard style, but there are high performance bits (and vehicles) out there that are already put together if you don't need a hobby and have the cash. The challenge really is to leverage the surplus bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
For instance replace the Prius gas engine with a VW transaxle.
meh, I'd rather overpower/gear it enough to not need a transmission. besides the vw trans is crappy, ever get one stuck in reverse and 3rd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
In case anyone hasn't seen it
nice machine, would love to understand the costs. But wow is he pumped over a golf cart outsourcing machining has been miss-or-miss for me so far, I'm gonna start dremelling my own splines soon at this rate .