View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
rpearson
EcoModding Lurker

Honda - '03 Honda Civic Hybrid

Bucky - '05 Subaru Outback

the truck - '83 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Steve,

We've now done 12-14000 feet of hill climbing/descending and the IMA system seems to be working correctly. No error codes have been thrown during since doing the charge/discharge cycling. I am going to declare victory and seal it up. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we will follow your advice and keep that other battery pack as a spare. I think I'll build my own grid charger since we presumably are not in a hurry at this point. I think our drive train is in pretty good shape so we might well get another 100-150K miles out of the car provided we can keep the batteries going.

I want you to know how much I appreciate your help. I think you saved us at least $1,000 and maybe double that. I've looked at some of the other threads where people faced some of the same issues/error codes/etc., and were throwing expensive parts at the same problems. I believe they were using dealer mechanics. Our dealer (Honda of Santa Fe) didn't even find our blown fuse although they told us they checked them. I HATE throwing parts at systems I don't understand which seems to be a fairly typical strategy for dealer mechanics. The fact that we were able to make this work for the price of a single 20 Ohm resistor is awesome! Is there any kind of ranking system for contributors on ecomodder? You've been incredibly helpful. Your attitude was wonderful: helpful, friendly, understanding, clear and very knowledgable: one of the best experiences I've had on the internet. If you get points or something for people up voting you I would up vote you to the max.

I'll report back in a few weeks how the new battery is holding up.

Best, John

One more question. What is the idea behind the charge/discharge cycling? Does the IMA battery actually discharge when you disconnect the 12 Volt? Is there a writeup somewhere that explains some of the underlying principles a bit?