View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
But tires cause lift, so maybe a little downforce to counteract that might be a good idea Just a little bit done via a flat underbody, since a car is already relatively close to the ground you might as well.

My car definitely "drifts" a little at higher speed on the freeway. Headwind makes that happen too. Less of that would be nice to have.
If the tires are shielded within the body,then all they do is add some windage drag,and drag associated with pressure spikes and separation-induced turbulence as they erupt from the underbody.
I don't think lift has been an issue with production cars since the mid-70s,when Hucho and others published their research and shared it with all the automotive engineers at SAE Congresses.
Mediocre designs are already 'fixed' with airdams and rear spoilers.
The weight of the car is all the downforce you need unless your at extralegal speeds.
If you do track days you'll want downforce for cornering.It'll kill your mpg coming and going from the track though.
If you drive a supercar on the unlimited sections of Autostrada or Autobahn,then the manufacturer has already covered your behind.
108-mph is uneventful in my truck,even in a blowing crosswind.It has -30 lbs downforce at the nose at 130-mph,and +22-lbs lift at the tail at 130 mph,in a truck with a 4,200 lb travel weight.The 'lift' generated is meaningless compared to the weight of the truck.
BamZipPow (12-03-2015), skyking (12-04-2015), UFO (12-09-2015)