View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
sotiris.bos
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Unless you can find your engine's BSFC, then the rule of thumb is to keep load around 80% and the RPMs in the highest torque range. Then coast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
Diesel's usually get their best efficiency at their peak torque. Find that out and you have won half the battle. Sometimes you can find a BSFC map for your engine. That can give insight on how you want to accelerate.

If you have a turbo charger on a diesel install a boost gauge. Driving in a manner that keeps boost low shows you are driving efficiently (DO NOT MODIFY YOUR CAR TO LOWER BOOST).
I have tried a lot to find a BSFC map but without any luck. I have found a dyno run though which shows the torque starts coming at about 1800 rpm and rises until it reaches peak torque at 2600. However, I would assume that peak torque comes with high boost. To complicate manners a bit, my car has an eco button that remaps the engine for higher efficiency by reducing throttle response and torque by 10%. Should I drive with the reduced torque map or is it more inefficient?