View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #332 (permalink)
TT-Man
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota / Lexus MGR Power

Hi Freebeard,
Your are quite correct, my suggestion would do nothing that a boost circuit ( Voltage doubler) of suitable rating could not.
My rational is,
I'm not happy with 650 volts as seemingly engineered by Toyota.
If it is possible to bye-pass the Toyota CAN Bus and use (hack into their liquid cooled invertor package, then their standard voltage 300 Volts (? about) would certainly work.
I do not have access to that technical ability.
Also as an Electrical Utilities Engineer (retired) I have a health respect for the increasing risks with higher voltage.

In the commercial field it seems that there may be more controllers capable of working at the 300 Volt range.

My recollection of motor theory lets me down when it comes to the 'reluctance motor'. It seems that Toyota have employed magnets as (simplistic) synchronous machine, where torque is directly proportional to current up to the point where back-emf reaches the applied voltage with the consequent reduction in torque and acceleration.; but also a reluctance motor component, who's torque / current /voltage curves I know nothing about.

It5 seems that to try to run this motor with a reduced voltage alters the power in a on linear manner, apparently significantly lower than a linear proportion. It seems that other experimenters have been disappointed in their results.
It is my attempt to employ the KISS principle.

By separating the windings full battery voltage may be applied to each, but would need a 12 diode bridge (of full rated current) to run it.
Something that I "may" attempt.

Cheers, TT-Man

PS You are correct, it is necessary to work in a clean environment when exposing high strength magnetic fields, and watch fingers as well!! I have worked with Lynch / Agni DC motors, and they are air cooled over magnets exposed to air stream.
The Following User Says Thank You to TT-Man For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (12-04-2015)