View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Katana
Interested Newbie

Silver Citroen Saxo - '02 Citroen Saxo 1.4i Furio
I find some people offensive, but i just choose to ignore them, or make fun of them in turn. Boycotting is the example you make, which is a good one as it hits people where it hurts, in the bank balance. Although "Boycott the sponsors of his television shows" won't work as Top Gear doesn't have any, no BBC television program does, the BBC is funded by the Television Licence, which is basically a tax for anyone who owns a TV and is enforced by Licensing Agency with large fines and prison time for not paying.

In case you didn't know Top Gear is completely scripted, all of it, including the bits that appear to be improvised.

As for Clarkson he just puts attitudes in public a lot of British people have about Americans (although slightly exaggerated for comic effect), that you are all lazy, fat, gun toting, religious nut cases who'd shoot you or sue you for offending them in any way. I don't really hold those views myself, i talk to fair amount of Americans on forums and chat rooms and find them to be mostly pleasant and like most people you meet in the world.

British comedians consider Americans and American culture fair game to be ridiculed for comedy quite a lot. I was watching one comedy panel show yesterday where the question was "What is the correct term for a person from America?" Obese, Burger eating invasion monkeys, was the answer given by one to thunderous laughter.
I'm sure Americans have jokes and stereotypes about Britain and it's people as well. The only one i know of is the one about British people all having bad teeth, which i still don't get. I don't have a right not to be offended by anyone, free speech guarantees that. I guess some people don't have a thick skin when it comes to insults and arguments.

As for the G-Wiz as well, it's an ugly, unsafe piece of crap as evidenced by it's run in with the table in that clip. I kind of admire someone for trying to be the first with a production electric "car" available on a cynical market. It's not a car in British motor vehicle law, it's classed as a quadricycle, in the same category as dune buggies and quad bikes, that way it doesn't have to meet basic passenger safety standards as a car would have to.