View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
I bought some corrugated plastic the other day to make some rear wheel well covers and a front end belly pan. Monday I will receive some new "Tuner style" lug bolts for the new wheels as the VW bolts are too wide at the collar for my one inch larger tires/rims. The new rims are aluminum instead of steel so they stick out further and take up more of the wheel well gap although they have large holes in between spokes that will need to be covered.

As far as the grill block goes......I am contemplating using plastic or expanding foam to fill in the grille and give it a more finished look. I'm also going to have to fill in the lower bumper opening for the dummy fog lights and the lower radiator.

I got coilovers in the mail and am excited to put them on when I have time and help. Should make for a much cleaner airflow from the wheel wells, especially when used in conjunction with covers and whatnot. I'm thinking low enough to just barely be tucking in the front but not so much that is hinders the ability to turn.

I should have a Bluetooth engine scanner in the mail tomorrow.....hopefully....Let's just say Amazon Prime failed me big time and it has been a whole week now with the scanner being shipped back and forth from two postal locations. It's quite nice to get the same updates over and over multiple times daily for a week....but seriously, when will it leave Federal Way, WA?? lolol. I purchased a good OBD2 app so I can track fuel economy, engine load, RPM, whether or not the fuel is being used when coasting in gear(Classic "more gas in gear or in neutral?" question). I coast in neutral quite often when it isn't a good time for EOC because I thought it was using less gas but a lot of people tell me it is better to leave it in gear and it will shut off the fuel until it reaches somewhere around a few hundred RPMs over idle to keep the car from needing to be restarted at a stop.

I'm starting to have a lot more time with the holiday season since I work from home and want to take time off so I will start documenting with photos and do some actual testing once my covers and wheels are on. I've also decided to do a partial kammback(sp?).

I was at 27MPG before the modifications with my normal driving. With a bit of coasting in neutral mixed with EOC when possible and general good driving techniques I am at 31MPG(6.45% over EPA). Now that I am starting to ecomod the Golf I am hoping to get 37MPG with the grille block, front belly pan and rear wheel covers. 37MPG would be a 21.6% increase over EPA.

Might not sound like a lot but at 14 gallons of fuel per fill up that comes out to $8 in savings.