View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddT58 View Post
I've touched 22mpg a few times over the 345,000 miles with my 7.3 with 3.73 rear end. What does your truck do withOUT the cetane boost? What other mods did you do to get the 22mpg? That's pretty good.
Sorry for the long delay.

The only mods I've done on my 7.3 F250 is install a round downpipe from the turbo to replace the restrictive flat factory "cobrahead" downpipe they put on the original body style Ford diesels, along with a large round airfilter to replace the problematic air filter box on those models. I don't think either of these "mods" had any effect on fuel mileage.

I attribute my 14 mpg towing and 22 mpg solo on the highway to a 3.55 rear axle ratio that keeps my engine speeds to about 1500 rpm towing at about 60 mph and about 1800 rpm solo at 70 mph. I also have a permanently-attached campertop which may help a bit with aerodynamics, but I also keep the bed loaded with camping junk. Also, I have a 91-gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed. All this keeps my truck's weight at about 8000 pounds, which hurts in stop-and-go and climbing in the hills but has relatively little effect steady-state on highway flats.

Regarding my PowerService and 2-cycle fuel additives, I cannot tell if they help or not with fuel economy. My use of them is strictly for any benefits relating to engine lubrication and cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorGray For This Useful Post:
ToddT58 (12-13-2015)