View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

The 3.55 axle came on my truck from the factory when I bought it new in 1996. As I recall, the only other axle offered that year with the 7.3 diesel was a 4.10. I didn't want the 4.10, since I knew I wasn't going to need its extra pulling power. Actually, your 3.73 would have been a better compromise for me since I bought and use the truck strictly for towing the 6000-pound travel trailer, but you play the hand you're dealt. My choice has worked out well.

I believe the factory in 1996 rated the maximum gross combined weight at 15,000 pounds with the 3.55 axle and the diesel. Since my 27-foot travel trailer weighs 6000 pounds and my normal truck weight with full fuel load (128 gallons) and camping junk and passenger load is at 9000 pounds, I'm towing what the factory rated as maximum. Of course, the thing can tow a lot more, but I got as much as I can stand fooling with anyway, so it works out well for me.

One thing I do have to watch when towing is the exhaust gas temps. I have a pre-turbo temp gauge that I watch closely when towing in the hills. The reason is that I don't have an intercooler, so the exhaust gas temps can climb quickly with a load going up the hills especially with a 3.55 axle. Managing the situation is no problem, however. When the EGTs reach around 1200F, I just push the button on the gear shift for the auto tranny to get out of overdrive. If the hill is too steep, I downshift to 3rd or 2nd or whatever is needed to keep the RPMs fast enough to lighten the engine load and get it breathing faster. This drops the EGTs way down to safe levels.

My engine is only rated at 215 HP. This is half what the new pickup diesels are rated at. However, my mileage is at least as good as the new models, and I have much fewer things to worry about like particulate filters and emission fluids and disasters related to extreme high pressure fuel systems which can blow up at the slightest hint of water or sediments.

I'm feeding my baby liquid vitamins (PowerService and 2-cycle) to keep her healthy. By the way it's looking, she'll be happily serving my heirs in a few years, but only if they're smart enough to keep her in the family. Time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorGray For This Useful Post:
ToddT58 (12-13-2015)