View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #7095 (permalink)
Bela
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I have been told by mechanically-minded people that water/glycol is the best mix for cooling.

Putting water near electronics makes no sense to me ... do you think mineral oil, similar to the type used for the fish-tank type PCs, would harm the pump or the seals?
I had to google fish-tank type pcs. Very cool.

There aren't any holes in the base plate that go completely through from the top to the bottom so it is unlikely that any coolant liquid will get into the box. About the only place it could get into the box is where the ports are on the side of the plate. If they leak and squirt upward it would be possible. However the cooling system is low pressure so most likely if anything leaks it will just drip.

I don't know much about the heat transfer characteristics of various fluids or how they would affect the pump.

One thought was to use the same fluid that is used for liquid cooled PCs however most of them don't advertise the freezing point since that really isn't an issue for PC cooling. They are also fairly pricey and I will need several liters, so standard anti-freeze that is formulated for aluminum seems like a reasonable way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bela For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (12-15-2015)