View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #136 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I still see fun in the fact that the US liberated itself from the Kings rule but kept the Kings rulers.

The French had pounds and feet etc., all slightly different from all the feet and pounds etc from other nations, before they chose to dump them for interrelated metric measures.

Napoleon imposed his units, and other mean traits like mandatory last names, on the countries he conquered; and sure enough we refused to use them unless forced to do so, ready to get rid of it as soon as the French left.
Guess what - once accustomed to both systems it became obvious what worked out best, and two years after the occupation ended, patriotism gave way to practicality and nobody used the old system anymore.

I grew up with the metric system but spent several months under Imperial rule, taking the odd units as a challenge. I can use either system to some extent. But I feel the changeover from metric to Imperial would be a lot tougher than the other way round.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 12-15-2015 at 05:47 PM..