View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #156 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G. View Post
I don't get why you Americans think changing is so hard.
It's not hard, it's undesirable. Change ought to make things better. Changing to the metric system for everyday use would make things worse, for all the reasons given above.

Quote:
At least your currency is already "metric" (base 10).
Not entirely. That's why we have the quarter, nickel, and half dollar (though that's now rare in everyday use). And the most common bill is probably the $20. If it was purely decimal, we'd only have pennies and dimes, and $1, $10, and $100 bills. Having those non-decimal denominations makes life a lot easier.

Though I admit I've never quite understood why we have a quarter dollar coin, but not a $25 bill :-)

Quote:
You pick it up quickly enough.
And one picks up the LSD system quickly enough, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil
China, obviously.
Not by per capita income. In 2014, China $7,590.00, US $54,629.50. (Per GDP per capita (current US$) | Data | Table ) And of course China makes a big chunk of its income from selling stuff to the US.

Quote:
It is quite something to attribute the rise of the USA to the measurement system.
I don't attribute it to the measurement system, I simply note that it obviously did not prove to be a major obstacle. And I do find it interesting that both France and Britain have declined since adopting the metric system, even if it is pure coincidence.

Quote:
I believe those two world wars that destroyed most of the infrastructure in Europe and Asia, twice over, had more to do with that.
On the contrary. Destroying antiquated infrastructure created the opportunity to start again, with a newer and more efficient one. Much of which was paid for by the US, BTW :-)

Last edited by jamesqf; 12-17-2015 at 12:56 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-17-2015)