View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #185 (permalink)
Goldenstate
Heilopower

Platinum Ghost - '14 Ford Fusion SE
90 day: 27.51 mpg (US)
The French government mandated the development of the metric system as they had at that time, several hundred different methods of measurement in place. This in itself was a major impediment to trade with other countries. The people were resistant to the change but with the help of the guillotine, they got past the issue of a new standardized system of measurement.

Having taught the fractional system and the metric system to students for well over 20 years, I quickly discovered that the metric system is far easier for people to learn. The fractional system with all of the different lines on a ruler will quickly cause the best learning intentions to fail rapidly. I had some students who never did grasp the fractions system and have seen adults who still did not understand how to measure beyond the number lines on a ruler.

The US government has dropped the ball on conversion to the metric system so many times in the past 200 years that if they had, the problem would not be facing us today. With the rest of the world economic engine already well established with the metric system, it is important for us to make the change as rapidly as possible to remain competitive.

I notice more and more that metric measurement tools are showing up in local hardware stores as the manufacturers of measurement tools finally grasp that making more of the fractional tools is not part of the future in this country. Years ago I tried to find metric graduated try squares for my wood shop program. The local suppliers laughed at me when I asked for 40 metric graduated hand tools to measure with. I told them that I was instructed to convert my entire program to the metric system as the state testing was no longer going to include fractions. All the science teachers also had to make the conversion and came to me as I had already developed a series of lessons and worksheets which were proven and just a copy machine away. The kids loved it as they went to science class and had the advantage over the students who did not have my wood program in their schedule. If the new generation is taught the metric system, the next generation will be so much easier to teach the metric system to.

Resistance seems to come from industry and the people who own a big box of fractional tools near retirement. They do not want to make the change as the bottom line is it will cost them big bucks to convert with little return on their investment. A perfect lesson in the Beardian theory that money related matters are big generators of how history plays out in the long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldenstate For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (12-20-2015)