View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
PaulB2
EcoModding Apprentice

Easy trailer front-end improvement

I don't know if anyone has tried this, not sure what to search for.

I have seen photos of the Bonneville cars with the lip that extends forward, close to the ground, preventing air going under the car and directing it to the side instead. It is a horizontal surface, not the usual vertical front air dam (although that may be present as well, just above it). Can anyone give me the jargon term for that lip?

Anyway I was looking at the front of my trailer. I have a basic 6x12 enclosed trailer, the kind that has a smooth curve from front to side, but a sharp 90 degree corner from front to top. I always want to make a nice smooth radius up there but fabricating it would be a ***** because it would require curving the material in two dimensions. Finally it occurred to me to take that "Bonneville lip" and apply it up there. In other words it would be just a flat piece of rigid material screwed to the top of the trailer (which is also flat in my case) and projecting forward some distance, maybe something like a foot. Assuming the trailer is set up horizontally at the hitch, this lip would simply divide the air into two regions - above it the air would be undisturbed, while below it the air would strike the trailer front and then curve around to the sides (I'm writing as if it was the air moving, rather than the trailer).

If this makes sense, it would be very easy to implement compared to a big round radius up there.

An enhancement to this idea would be an additional curved surface reproducing the front trailer surface, under the lip, but with a more round front rather than flattened as with most trailers. Or maybe just a "V"; whatever is optimal. This would be material curved in one dimension so it would be easy. It would be easy to attach it to the underside of the lip as well.

Has anybody done anything like this?