View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for Dec 21.

After doing some AC controller testing I connected the Cougar to a 24V pack. All OK. To avoid turning any of the MOSFETs on, I left the throttle off and did not power up the controller with 12V. All seems fine.

I then turned off power and connected the Warp 9 motor. When I powered up the precharge resistor gets *HOT* ... 6.7 ohm 20W resistor.

I then pulled in the contactor and let some smoke out

2 of the resistors driving the MOSFETs actually caught FIRE! It appears that most of the MOSFETs were actually failed on. There are 3 resistors that have not turned black or burned. I left the controller that way until the smoke stopped and the current dropped. Any MOSFET that was failed stayed on until it *HOPEFULLY* melted.

I have video but I think I lost the audio track. I will post when I get it edited. I hope to get the Cougar connected to a small test blower and a small test pack in my basement to see if anything still works.

So far, I have cut off 2 MOSFETs that were obviously damaged, the controller sends the power up message but will not respond to text commands, or even echo the characters. I have re-soldered the serial header and made a new serial connector - no response. And lastly I cooked several of the MOSFETs and the resistors that drive them ON as described above.

I'm still hopeful that I have a couple of operational MOSFETs ... but hope is dwindling ...

My education is EXPENSIVE ... because I BLOW **** UP!