View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
DragBean
PizzaRimBoy

So I've figured out if you got a warped hub and put good rims on the warped hub, it will warp the rims.

While I was driving on a long 700 mile round trip for work I stopped at a junkyard real quick and pick two good wheels for $20. I spun the wheels on the back hub of the car I picked them from and they had no whirl or anything.

After about 50 miles of driving with the new wheels the vibrations came back.

The same thing happens if you put bad rims on a good hub.

I'm kinda assuming the brake drums are bad too.

Basically any warp is contagious.

I havn't tried rotating the wheels 1 or 2 lug nuts on their perspective hubs yet, maybe that would hopefully fix the problem, but I think I have to replace everything to realistically fix the problem. (I can probably get the brake drums turned though).

So now I'm dealing with basically two badly warped hubs in the back, 4 bent rims (including the two picked ones), one of my front tires got slashed, the lug nut on one of the front hubs gaulded and snapped off, and so now I'm going to have to replace that too.

I think the best way to deal with this is to just replace all 4 bearing, hub, and rim assemblies with picked parts and hope the picked parts are good.

The car already has almost 250K miles on it, so the other thing to do would be just to drive it until it gets really bad or the engine dies. This option is a little more dangerous because the handling is not going to be right.

Another question is, how much worse gas mileage do you get from warped hubs? I'm getting about 35 mpg right now, down from 40 with the wider tires. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. I'm pretty certain the warped hubs and tires can be blamed for this nearly 15% drop.