View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks. I see where it is, very near to the handbrake, but beyond that I don't have a clue.

So the lever shaft is cut and welded in a way that allows the top right corner of the Fluke to fit between them? Maybe the pot is a bias control and the button on top the shift lever is normally used?

Maybe I confuse easily?
That pic with the fluke in it was just a pic to show how the top half of an automatic buick shifter was grafted onto the 5 speed manual shifter that I use. The button on top of the shifter is no longer used to release the shifter interlock to take it out of park as it did on the buick that I got it from, now it controls the potentiometer below it that is mounted to the shifter shaft. The big button allows very precise control of the regen, from no regen at all to emergency braking power. The linkage is set up so that it gives progressively more regen the further I push it. So the sequence is that I push the button down, which turns the knob on the potentiometer, and the potentiometer changes determine how much regen is applied.

I found that setting the "off throttle" regen to just a tiny little bit made it so that the motor does not free spin so long. When the off throttle regen was set to zero, I could put the transmission in neutral and rev it up, and the motor would free spin for about a minute before finally coming to a stop. By playing around with tiny amounts off off throttle regen, I was able to come up with a setting that feels like no off throttle at all, but lets the motor idle down in just a few seconds. I was also able to fine tune it so that I have really nice clutchless shifting. I do have a heavy duty and very functional clutch, but it is nice to not have to use it if I don't want to. With just the right amount of off throttle regen, clutchless shifting is a little sweeter than clutchless shifting in a DC set up.

The driving experience is a lot nicer when you don't have to use the foot brake or the clutch. The thumb pot gives more precise braking action than the foot brake, and with far less effort. When I built this set up, I was not sure how easy it would be to adapt my driving habits to it, but it turns out that it is a lot easier for humans to adapt to things that are easier to do in the first place. I am finishing a Cadillac EV conversion right now, and am installing the same system, since the theme of this build is luxury. This build won't have a traditional shifter to use as a control location, so I am building a custom mount for it that is easy to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-29-2015)