View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
Thanks for the detailed information. I know that ranges will vary with all the normal factors such as speed, stop and go traffic, hills etc. Care to venture a guess as how much energy the regen saves you as general percentage?
JJ
In my first conversion, I run an off throttle set up in a Metro, and in my second conversion, I run a DC set up with no regen capability at all, again a Metro. The variable-on-demand system is in my third metro conversion, again a Metro. During my 10 mile commute each way in heavy city traffic, I use at least 15% less energy with the variable on demand system than what I use for either the DC or the off throttle Metros. If I really push the limits of eco driving, there is no way that I can get home on as little energy with the off throttle or DC Metros, compared to what I can do in the variable on demand one. The DC and the off throttle Metros are remarkable, and use about the same amount of energy for that commute, but they just can't compete with the variable on demand.

I also do 55 mph range tests on my Metro conversions here in the flat Sacramento valley, and all three conversions use about the same amount of energy. The variable on demand system still does a little bit better, but I also did more things on this build to reduce the weight, and I also have an economy switch to limit maximum amps when it is switched to that position.

I also drive a lot in the foot hills where I have several 6% to 8% up and down grades, and lots of twisting roads with switchbacks and such. This is where the variable demand system shines the best, and it is also the type of terrain that I have to use my friction brakes the most on my ICE Metros. I know these roads well, and I make no effort to conserve energy at all. These roads are recreational driving to me, and I push the EVs to their limits. The variable on demand system makes this kind of driving really fun compared to having to use friction brakes, and it collects large amounts of braking energy

Regardless of the type of driving that I do, the variable on demand regen proves to be the ultimate eco mod, and yields superior efficiency compared to what is available in manufactured EVs. Here in CA, the difference in registration fees between a 20 year old Metro and a new manufactured EV is enough by itself to pay for 15,000 miles per year in electricity, so between that and the variable on demand system, I don't see myself owning a manufactured EV. Eco mods rock.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-31-2015)