View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #571 (permalink)
acparker
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Still takes 10-15 years to get them anywhere close to adult size
Most folks try to avoid making kids in batches. It is not unusual to have near adult sized kids and near infant sized at the same time, depending on quantity and spacing.

My parents had eight kids spaced about two years apart. We got by with station wagons. My dad installed extra seatbelts so we could sit four across. He never bought a full-sized van because it wouldn't fit in the garage -- but we never parked in the garage because it was always full of stuff.

All of ours kids are now (legally) adults, living at home or nearby at school. We are not in a hurry to be grandparents but are resigned to the eventuality.

Quote:
The in-laws can't rent a car and drive themselves?
If they could rent a car, they could also stay in a hotel.

We did rent a 12-passenger van once for a road trip with visiting family. We almost bought a very nice used 12-passenger van, but hesitated and missed the deal. It is still sometimes a tempting thought, but I don't like the look of the new vans and the older ones are, well, older.

With the kids slowly leaving, we have been looking at downsizing our next vehicle without the need for three rows of seats; which brings us back to the benefits of having a trailer and a hitch.