View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
bobdbilder
EcoModding Lurker

Knight - '03 Proton Waja
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

Whoopee - '01 Proton Wira 1.3 Aeroback
90 day: 38.69 mpg (US)
Question Single Fan for Engine Cooling and Airconditioning

I just came across this thought accidentally. My engine radiator fan is not working. I think its a faulty relay. But its ok. As long as I keep my airconditioning switched on. I have been running on like this for a week and the temp gauge never hits half way mark. I have also removed the weather strip that seals hot air from coming through the windshield gap. This helps hot air flow out of the engine bay. Of course, I drive at speeds below 90km/h and where I am at, the temperature never goes below 30 degC. When the car idles there is a degradation in the cooling air but not unbearable.

I realized newer cars have only one fan, typically the engine radiator fan. There is no dedicated fan for the aircond. I think the fan is switched on by both condition; hot coolant or aircond control. Where the aircond fan used to be, it is substituted by rubber flaps. I think it closes so the central fan sucks in far wider area at low car speed.

The savings is both in reduction of electrical load and minimal savings in weight due to deletion of one fan. But this modification can be done on older cars too. What do you guys think?