Thread: Warped Hubs
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
DragBean
PizzaRimBoy

Here's an update on the warp hubs.

Overall it's not great news. Someone slashed one of my front tires and discount tires is taking forever to order the replacement. Luckily I had some space tires from a honda, but they're not exactly the same, so I'm getting mis-alignment drag that's reducing my mpg, but that will go away once I put the two new front tires back on.

So I'm just focusing on the rear wheels.

I bought a runout dial indicator and measured the warp on my rear wheels. The hubs (both with and without the brake drum disk) had at the worse 0.003" lateral runout when measured on the face as seen on the picture (about 2" from the center of the wheel).

This should equate to 0.015" (1/64") lateral warp on the outside of the tire which would be hardly noticeable.

But I can see at least 1/16 almost 1/8 lateral travel on the inline grooves of my tires back there.

So the rims are most of the problem.

I even got the run out reading on the rim itself (where the bottom of the bead would be) and that was 0.020 when it should only be .006 from the warpage of the hub.

I was able to rotate my rim around on the passenger side rear to match a high of the rim runout with a low of the hub runout and was able to decrease the warp so it's hardly noticable in the lateral direction. So that idea can have success.

However nothing I tried (including breaking all the bead on both sides of the tire(s) and reseating them with soap all around) was able to improve the driver's side rear.

I drove 800 miles this weekend and got the worse tank I've ever gotten - 30 mpg as opposed to 40 mpg at a comparative speed average (80 mph). Originally the car would start vibrating enough to start shaking my rearview mirror significantly (well it's a panoramic mirror) at 80 mph but towards the 2nd half of the trip the vibrations didn't start coming till 85 mph.

I think I am going to buy one new rim, tire, and have it professional mounted and balanced so I know it's perfectly true. Then use it to help me fully troubleshot the problem here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151230_141220-min.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	19390  

Last edited by DragBean; 01-04-2016 at 05:22 PM..