View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
larger body/snow/lower corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
What sendler said. I checked for a third page before I hit Submit for this:

Instead of the traverse cut it has a notch, which I presume is for the driver's sight-line. But the mirror is under the influence of a larger body, which might mitigate the sub-optimal form.

I thought there were wind tunnels that could add snow. Maybe they have heated leading edges.

The lower corners of that elliptical form are the hard part. Morelli resorted to pumped air from hubcaps, since he didn't have a flat-four air pump in the lower rear.
*Yes,in virtually all the tunnel photos we can see that the airflow in the mirror region is skewed,including my video from DARKO.There is a distance from the body at which the interference drag minimum of the mirror is optimized.If we don't get approval for camera systems,we may see more basic research into lower drag mirror systems.In the meantime,I'll be watching 24-hours of LeMans, LMP-1,race car technology.These teams do everything for a reason.
*In climatic wind tunnels,the turning vanes can be heated or cooled to maintain a constant air density during testing.(the air mover itself will inadvertently heat the airstream ).Freeze-testing is done in a climatic chamber I believe,separate from the wind tunnel.Eglin Air Force Base,Florida, has a chamber large enough to freeze a 747.
To allow snowflakes to impact the fan blades,at the velocities they run at could be devastating to the leading edges,as well as ruin the dynamic balance of the blades,potentially catastrophic.
*Yeah,if Morelli had the air-cooled boxer engine,he could have ducted the cooling air off the cylinders/heads' sheetmetal to help create the Coanda nozzles.He said they were losing 2/3rds of the air from the wheel turbines due to gap leakage.
BamZipPow (01-09-2016), freebeard (01-05-2016)