View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #475 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Ok so I finally got around to continuing my troubleshooting.
Recap:
I have everything soldered, I tapped all my leads/cables, and the software uploaded successfully(according to the arduino IDE), but my LCD just illuminated. That's it.

I resecured all of the connections from the LCD and the circuitry to the little holes in the 'guino. I turned the car on, and the LCD went on, but nothing still. I didn't reflash the 'duino at that point because I didn't have my laptop with me...BUT I noticed that the 'duino chip was getting REALLY hot, specificallt the 3-prong potentiometer (I think it's a pot) in between the power plug and the USB plug. I decided it would be best to cut the power, so I did.

The next time I worked with it, I had the laptop ready to reflash it, and even try to re-do the bootloader. I connected it up to the USB, making sure to switch the pin setting to USB, and the IDE said it couldn't connect to the device. I then noticed that the actual PROM IC was getting VERY hot. This is bad.

I think I might have fried my 'duino. I'm very sure that I have all of the wiring correct. One thing is that I have 12v running into the duino... it had sat there since the last time I posted, lighting up the LCD wherever I went, not getting hot or anything, but considering how much voltage is required to run the 'duino and the LCD, do I really need all 12v? I'd be willing to buy another 'duino, but another development has come up:

I found a 99 civic EX coupe for sale (check it out on binghamton NY area craigslist). I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it - I drove it, and it seems fine. AC doesn't work (don't care) and it has 176k. It costs $2500 and I'm going to make sure the heater works tonight. Should I buy it? My 93 Corolla works like a champ and burns a little oil - has 140k, but I really want a honda and a little more stock MPG capability... OBDII would be nice too. What do you guys think?