View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
minimac
EcoModding Lurker

Apparently the idea is go to heavier rollers or sliders, for maximum top end/ mileage and by varying the preload, be able to have infinite "gearing"(for acceleration) up to the maximum that the heavier rollers would provide. Similar to having say, a six speed with out having the clutch and additional weight (and drag)of the gears. As it is now, scooters are stuck with whatever compromises goes with the weight of the rollers/sliders. They can be changed- lighter weight= quicker acceleration, less speed, more noise, higher rpm, or heavier rollers/sliders= slower acceleration ,higher speed at lower rpm, for better mileage.
It shouldn't increase drag by a significant amount because it isn't powering or driving any thing. It is only applying pressure, at varying degrees, to the drive belt to alter it's position. At least that's the way I see it. Besides, I thought the whole idea of the CVT was to keep the vehicle its most efficient mode- or is it different for scooters. I don't see where a belt driven pulley system is less efficient than one that is gear driven, but I'm new to this.
See post#62 maybe that explains it better than I can.
PatBox CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) - Page 7 - Suzuki Burgman Forum