View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #107 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
In my never ending quest to start lots of projects without finishing the previous ones, I have been looking a redoing my front air dam. Currently my front air dam is mounted just in front of the frame of the truck which is set quite a bit back from the front bumper, and the existing air dam is rather flat in the front. I would like to move the air dam forward closer to the bumper, and incorporate more of a curve along the entire length of the dam.

My current plan is to mount an aluminum frame just behind the front bumper up above the bottom of the bumper, hidden from view. Then I can attach new rubber conveyor belt material to that frame, where nothing rigid would stick down. That way I maintain all my approach angle. My initial plan is to have the dam extend straight down, and not run a splitter on the bottom. I see some new OEM air dams look as if they are all angled backwards, I am not sure if this serves a function or is just styling.

I attached a very crude sketch/diagram of what I am planning, so I would like everyone’s feedback on this design, or suggestions for a better design.

In non-aerodynamic news, I got the rest of my tools semi-organized into my Pelican Cases and under the rear seat. I ended up cutting out part of the sides and the bottom of the stock plastic under seat liner to reclaim lots of valuable space along the sides and in nooks and crannies. All the tools and heavy items are in the pelican cases, and my extra tow straps and come along are under the rear seat. I have noticed a lot less spinning of the rear tires since I relocated the majority of my tools back there a couple weeks ago. I only remember spinning once at the trouble spot, in 2wd when the roads were damp and I wasn’t paying as much attention to easing out on the clutch. So hopefully that will keep me from prematurely wearing as much life off of my new set of tires, which are supposed to be delivered today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revised Air Dam 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	19443