View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
PaulGato: Thanks for taking the time to share all the information! I appreciate it greatly.

You are correct in guessing my vehicle is petrol/gas. I have been replacing parts and finally figured out the issue with the cold starts: rotor cap(it is a petrol thing :P ). The car now has a bit more power with a good rotor cap. I also replaced the coil and fuel pressure regulator which I thought might have been the issue before the cap.

I definitely need an alignment now after doing the clutch. The car has a very slight left pull. Also I think the wheels I got are bent as the steering wheel will vibrate and wobble back and forth just slightly. Might possibly be related to not having hub centric rings.

I am going to buy an AC bypass pulley bracket and remove my AC completely as the previous owner had cut the hoses for some reason. I never use it anyways, even if it is hot. I am going to use the AC button in the dash as my injector cut off switch to save fuel when coasting and not have a hideous switch drilled into the dash somewhere.

I also want to do a power steering delete or at least route the tubing back into itself instead of into the steering rack. That should net a good increase in mpg.

I run my tires at 45 PSI although it was warm then and it is freezing now so I need to reinflate them to max PSI. I do get the harsh jolt from speed bumps and pot holes but I generally just avoid them and don't have an issue.

I thought about getting a block heating unit but I heard it is very hard to install on my engine. I haven't really looked into it but have noticed that MPG is significantly lower when cold then warm according to the Torque app.

I have also noticed my engine overcools to the point where it barely moves the needle. Like it shows still cold and is on the very first tick. The only time it will reach the central tick where it should be is if I am driving like an idiot when traffic is slow with quick revs and acceleration. I am going to do a grill block with the plastic I purchased a few months back for the job. I'll also put in the under try the same weekend.

I never reach fifth gear with my larger tires in city. I might put my old one inch smaller tires and wheels back on and see if that helps.

Anyhow, I really appreciate you taking the time to write as I am now back in the ecomodding game after a month break.

Side question? Do you happen to know what would cause a squealing noise immediately after starting when trying to turn the wheel? It only happens when turning the wheel and immediately stops if I stop turning the wheel. I only notice it when I am turning out into the street from the curb where parked when cold then doesn't happen again till the next morning.