View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 AM   #222 (permalink)
werefree
EcoModding Lurker

OK I just spent 1/2 of a normal battery on two sets (12) of 500F capacitors, some 1N4935 rectifier/diodes to help balance the pack under alternator load, and 1 30A, 4s balancer for lithium batteries. In the garage I have like 90 Lithium cells from some recycled laptop batteries. So I put together a pack that is 5 in parallel and 4 series. I will then bridge the lithium pack using some resistors in parallel with the capacitor bank. When the F250 starts, the capacitors will come down in voltage, then the lithium's will bring them right back. Or so I think right about this moment. when my parts get here in Feb 5 or so, then that might be a different story. So off I go to make a preliminary cad model of the wood box I will need to house this stuff neatly. When the caps get here, all I need to do is change the size, update the model and print the drawings and go to the garage to start cuttin. In another forum, someone sarcastically mentioned that their car was blue, thus making this stuff work better. Hey It just so happens that my truck is blue! Hurray for unscientificity! I'll be taking my precautions with this thing, no worries. I know first hand what a hydrogen torch looks like coming out of a lithium battery. I should say finger. A flash type non rechargeable lithium battery puts out a nice flame for about 2 seconds. A laptop cell will probably do 5 to 10 seconds, and there are 20 of those plus 12 supercaps. So incident-wise, we are looking at minimum a large hole in the hood of a vehicle parked in the freeway neatly between lane 2 and 3. At worst, a larger hole and some missing personal parts. In three weeks when the parts get here, I might not even remember what I bought them for, ah we'll see.