View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
More about the truck.

Did I really need a 2500HD? No, I'll be honest, probably not (though towing my tractor/cars/equipment rentals is going to be more comfortable). But what I really did need, was a rust-free, low-mileage, dependable work truck.

I really wanted to find a chevy/gmc 1500 with a 6-spd transmission and cylinder-deactivation, but it turns out they are still out of my price range with anything less than a ton of miles.

A 1500 truck with the 5.3L V8, even with the old 4-spd 4L60 trans, would likely return appreciably better mpg than this, but I honestly could not find a rust-free, well cared for example in many months of searching.

I searched craigslist daily until this beauty popped up. A one-owner, 2500HD SLT, but in the smallest/lightest configuration (aside from the regular cab / long bed, which doesn't work for me as I have 1 kid now and another on the way) and with the smallest available engine, the teeny tiny 6.0L V8.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
LQ4 6.0L V8 engine
2WD/4-HI/4-LO manual transfer case
4L80 HD 4-spd Trans
4.10 rear end gearing (ugh)
~5600 lb curb weight (best data I can find)
10,200 lbs towing capacity (under-rated) and ~3800 lbs payload (dayumn).

Not a great starting point for economy. I somewhat naively assumed that with my laid-back commute of gentle back-road cruising, I could still see high teens in this truck. Now it would appear that will be difficult (but I WILL get there this coming summer, or die trying).

Starting fuel economy in the fall months: 13.0 mpg

Now that we're into real winter... it tried to get worse (a LOT worse) but my initial mods are holding it steady so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deezler For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-18-2016)