View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Andrei_ierdnA
EcoModding Lurker

SmurFITte - '13 Honda Fit LX
90 day: 38.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Some members block behind the grille opening to keep the OEM look. There may be a small efficiency penalty vs. an external block, but it's still way better than wide open OEM.

Also you might consider a block heater if you've got somewhere to plug in. Depending on wattage, an hour of pre-heat will make a noticeable difference in cold weather.
For starters I would like to do it easy and just block from behind the grille. Also since I jumped from an 18 year-old car to a 2 year old car that still looks like new, I want to keep its OEM looks for a few years at least.

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility of using a block heater, either at home or at work. It's something I would definitely get if I had a plug available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Hey! Nice car you have there. I always did like that color, but settled for a white one myself. You can't be so choosy when buying used.

You can haul just about anything in it. It just "fits". I've carried a lazy-boy, a water heater, a stove, a dresser, multiple bales of hay at once, a sheep, lumber, rolls of fencing, and much more.

I agree about the lower grille block. I used a foam exercise mat cut to size. Poke a couple holes through and secure it with zip ties around the grille cross pieces.

Shift early, keep the rpm low, use neutral whenever you're not actually needing power like on downhills. (but careful to avoid over-speeding) With the gear ratios the way they are, high speed means high rpm, so slow down if it's reasonable to do so.
Thanks a lot PaleMelanesian.
I too really like its colour, especially since it's not very common on cars. I went over my budget by 40% to get this particular Fit, but all the other ones with manual/stick-shift I saw had ridiculous mileage and full of little bumps, dents, scratches and small rust spots; or lacking cruse-control.

I usually shift up around 2,500-3,000 rpm. Is that early enough, or I should try even earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That's quite the collection of "GO AROUND ME" messaging on the back of your car, Andrei.
You all probably know how often you get aggressive a**-riders when you're driving at speed limit on the hwy. This way, they usually smile and will change lanes. But as far as I'm concerned, only 2 are for "GO AROUND ME". The others are just for fun - the 3 screaming heads are from an awesome electronic music festival in Ontario (Harvest Festival @ Midloathian Castle in Burk's Falls, Ontario), 3 years and hope for many more.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 01-13-2016 at 08:02 PM..