View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #239 (permalink)
larryrose11
Mad Scientist

Silver Civic - '97 Honda Civic 2 door DX coupe
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)

Wagon - '01 Ford Foccs ZTX
90 day: 35.46 mpg (US)
gildo4realdo,
Most of us conservative drivers (hypermiler) are just that. Driving slow and steady, accelerating slowly, lots of coasting. Nothing crazy like breaking the law, or putting ourselves at risk. Such as: When Im costing down to a light, If there are people coming up behind me, Ill just turn on the hazzard lights, and they go racing by to the red light. I arrive at the light just after it turns green.
I would guess that of the 30% FE gain I got from driving style, year average (it gets cold here in metro Detroit, affects areo, warm-up) the first 20 % was just gentle driving, timing lights, and learning about your car. the last 10 % is from engine off coasting (EOC). You can get an aditional 10% from Pulse and Glide (P&G), which can be quite handy depending on your rout, such as downhills. Unless your a scientist or an engineer (I am), or similarly lie minded, it may be difficult for you to modify your driving style 1 attribute at a time consistently over a tank to get the results. This is what I did before I got mt Scangage 2. It was a pain, but I was committed. Once I got my scnaguage 2, life became MUCH easier. My has paid for itself several times over, mostly because you can pull error codes when something goes wrong, and it is a universal devise. It is an invaluable tool when experimenting to find out what works and what doesn't. Instant feedback on engine operation, Trip averages, day averages, tank averages and such.
Larry