View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Looks like others are much more knowledgeable about your question, so instead I'll just provide comments you don't want to hear.

Skip the TPMS. Owning such a system can be a headache of replacing batteries, pairing the monitor to the computer, accidentally ruining sensors when using tire slime or a careless tire change... Tires pretty much hold their pressure, or they soon become obvious that they aren't.

Power mirrors are nice if you frequently change drivers, but fairly pointless if you don't. Sometimes I'll readjust a side mirror directly backwards if a driver behind me has particularly glaring headlights.

Considering all the stuff you mentioned though, it would be cheaper and easier to sell your vehicle and buy the one you want. On the private party market, zero cash is lost in a sale or a purchase. Also, premium features depreciate rapidly on the private market, so you can get the upgrades for a modest amount more than paying for the base vehicle.

When you go to sell, your upgraded car will get little to none of the extra value out of it since the VIN will say it's the base model. That might make the car easier to sell at it's fair value, but I doubt people will be willing to pay extra for the added features.

I do understand wanting to keep a known vehicle, and there is even irrational psychology at play that causes us to value things we own more than things we do not.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-17-2016 at 11:52 AM..