View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
It was more of an interesting thought. Kind of a "What if..." thing. I wonder just how much weight we are talking about though. The bed on a step side is pretty light. Two people can lift it off easily. I guess there is probably some lateral movement to be contended with. In my mind I was seeing an inverted spring arrangement parallel to the rear axle and mounted to or held in place by some sort of piece spanning the frame. Something very simple, even though something like this probably isn't simple to begin with. I was trying to thing of a way to make a long boat tail on a small pick-up. The biggest obstruction was the rear wheels being so far outboard. Moving them inboard far enough to not have to box around them was going to involve removing the rear leafs and finding a way to replace them to support the bed. A friend is trying to build a "race truck" (at least that's what I think he's trying to do) and asked me if I knew anything about Rangers because I have one. That's what got the imagination working.