View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #90 (permalink)
planejob
BeginnerModder

Today I focused on getting the car rolling and cleaning up the engine bay. I removed a bunch of the gasoline ignition components, emissions vacuum lines, and auto tranny brackets.

I found this GREAT reference for converting an automatic Geo Metro to a manual Geo Metro. "airwerks" over on Team Swift posted some really useful pictures.

I did break the auto CV axles down. It's a chore to get the wheel side CV to break apart, especially without a blue wrench. I ended up with 2 axle stubs that fit perfectly (duh, removed and replaced) in the wheel hubs and allow me to roll the car around without destroying the wheel bearings! winning.

I got the dipstick tube o-ring replaced, installed the tube, and bolted the bracket down. Bolting the bracket down was the hardest part as the little hole was filled with an insect's nest and I lacked the correct size tap to clean it out completely.

I took a quick trip back to Oreilly's and traded the 15385 belt for a 15380 belt. The qaurter of an inch allowed me to get a reasonable, but not too tight, tension set on the alternator without maxing out the adjustment-slider-bracket-thingy. Do modern day belts still stretch after installation?

I spent about an hour studying on the oil passages. I'm still not sure what the correct answer is, but that picture of the custom turned block off plate has me intrigued.

Pictures coming.