View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Vajra
EcoModding Lurker

My truck is a 4x4, sits a bit higher than either of the pictures. Not much, but a little bit. The 2500 has a beefier suspension. I seem to get inconsistent results with level or non level pictures. Not complaining, I love the way my truck looks, minus some rust issues. I very much like the body style, interior. I just wish it wasn't so bad on gas. New plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel rails. Everything and a tune-up. I know with 4.10 gears fuel economy wasn't going to be the strong point of the truck. But it was what I could afford for a HD, one that meets my needs in towing or hauling. If I can squeeze just a little MPG out of it, it would be worth it. I was going to be building a camper. Thought truck camper. Then streamlined tow behind.. now maybe a aerodynamic aerocap-camper sounds all the better, that is when it isn't being used. I seen bigger trucks with a more of a long slope aerocaps with a 8 inch or more tail-end of the lid tapering off above the tailgate. A Toyota Tacoma if not mistaken. I guess what I wonder most, is which is better to do, carry the curve to the end of the tailgate just above it, or past the tailgate and above it by 5-8 inches or so? I am no aerodynamic engineer, but I have build RC planes, jets, model rockets and understand rounding edges, blending surfaces. I just wonder which would be the most efficient. I guess I might have to make some mock ups and just go with things, changing as I go until I am happy. I am just surprised to see more short bed aerocaps verses long bed aerocaps it seems... I would think long beds have the most to gain from aaerocap/lid. I know a wallet that would love to save on fuel costs! Maybe a spoiler at the end of a well blended tail curve would help? - Vajra