View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Katana
Interested Newbie

Silver Citroen Saxo - '02 Citroen Saxo 1.4i Furio
Tango
I think it's a turn around of what we heard some Americans calling the French when they disapproved and didn't fight in the middle east wars, "cheese eating surrender monkeys" was the phrase if i remember correctly. I'm not sure why the monkeys is derogatory, it was just in the saying.

Clark
Feel free to hate him, many do and he seems to thrive on it, i just take his comments/opinions with a pinch of salt. I think the reason why others like him because he expresses his thoughts without worrying if he offended anyone, and Britain has become so politically correct in the last decade, people are becoming sick of being told what the can and can't say and he epitomizes the backlash against it. He is playing to his base when he spews his hatred of America, and various other countries like Germany, Switzerland and Korea.

I don't think you should stop your kids from hearing such things, there are a lot of people in the world who don't like or flat out hate Americans for whatever reason and it's important they know that. I'm sure there are plenty of people in world who would hate me for they way i live, who or what i am and what country i live in, it's just the world we live in these days.

You're correcting in saying that pride or patriotism in england/britain is considered to be un-PC, bad taste and by some to be insulting to minorities living here. It was co-opted by racist and far right groups in Britain, and anyone who tries to express patriotism is thought to be a white supremacist/racist or just plain weird. I'm glad you are instilling a sense of pride in their heritage, many British could stand to do the same these days.

Heh, bit heavy on the politics there.

Does anyone on here like the G-Wiz?
I know it's an electric car and all but it's a bad example of one, and just enforces the stereotype that such cars are tickets to a plastic death, or have a useless range.
There are some good looking and safer leccy cars in the pipeline but the G-Wiz is just sitting there at the moment setting back the leccy car in the public image.