View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
Keep throwing the caution flags, but throw them at the right thing.

An Indian grad student's paper showing empirical verification of theoretical modeling only proves that CFD makes testable predictions with a degree of accuracy. This isn't a VG paper, they just use them as a matter of convenience, as their properties are well known. Standard academic procedure.

The Mitsubishi paper is interesting, as it's clearly aimed at performance improvements. Those familiar with car aerodynamics (or at least with Hucho) know this test is rigged. The Lancer rear window is too steep to maintain attached flow past the roof. 14 degrees is the transition, IIRC. Mitsu's doing good engineering here.

VG's work wonders in certain applications, as on airplane wings. Not so much elsewhere; throw the flag at the offender, not the tool.

Frank
The criticism was leveled directly at the testing methodology and ignorance on the part of the investigators.I've never said that VGs don't have a place,given specific context.Please reread my comments.I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth.