View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
OK, So here's what I get.

Higher Res Version Here

The Red Line is as you said, right to the top of the gate and I see that as 11° overall, the yellow straight line is 8°, and the orange line is essentially a template curve section to smoothly transition over 8°. Now mind you that the angle above the gate, the maximum slope, on the 11° arc is 16° and 14° for the 8° arc, for whatever that's worth.

So my reasoning is this, From the chart, we see that 10-12° is pretty much the same for lowering the Cd, but the CL goes up a not so insignificant amount at 12° losing 44%. I gotta believe that at 8°, your CL will look great and the Cd will only be slightly affected. But you gain 4" of covered space.

Now, I see you live in Michigan, I can tell you from having driven with my not even closely optimized aerocap, that the way your truck will handle in slippery icey conditions with the CL optimized will really amaze you. My truck handled way better with the cap, it felt like an arrow going down the road.

So you get great handling, more storage, 95% of the aero efficiency gain, and I think it will just look better too. Winning.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-28-2016), BamZipPow (01-29-2016), Vajra (01-27-2016)